Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Day 1 7/2/2012

First day of class and of course I already had internet issues and installation issues (as to be expected). Dr. Dunn really calmed everyone's nerves and I realized that no matter how many issues I had with installing things in class, I just needed to remember that this class is a great opportunity and I need to remain patient because it won't do me any good to get frustrated.

We used a lot of class time perusing different kinds of technology forms that we use both in and out of the classroom. Some were new to me and some I was familiar with. It basically set the tone for me that we are moving into a "digital age of learning." It was inspiring and exciting to overview new programs. It is just exciting to know how much is out there in the technology world for me to explore!

As we started our group work and starting thinking out loud, I realized that there is a lot of limitations with technology due to lack of definitive research in technology, such as digital game-based learning. I think that my generation understands how useful technology is in the classroom, but the data and research isn't in place to back it up so that school boards will really "catch the fever" and dive into digital game-based learning. Our society as a whole will have to jump on board, because for digital game-based learning to be successful, the games have to be very involved. These games are no longer just behavioral based (where there is a reward slapped onto a learning content), they are cognitive and social-cultural based.  

No comments:

Post a Comment